Undergraduate Support Scheme at LSE in UK 2021
The London School of Economics and Political Science invites applications for Undergraduate Support Scheme in 2021/22 academic session in the UK.
LSE provides a variety of programs; from undergraduate and graduate programs, to executive programs, language study, distance learning, summer school and study abroad possibilities. The Undergraduate Support Scheme offers funding for foreign students based financial need.
Every year, LSE grants around £4 million in scholarship awards and financial assistance to its undergraduate candidates. Furthermore to LSE’s own funds, candidates may be able to obtain scholarship awards and financial assistance from governments and agencies all over the world.
The School recognizes that the cost of living in London may be higher than in your home town or country. LSE offers generous financial assistance, in the form of bursaries and scholarship awards to UK, EU, and foreign candidates, whilst Government support is obtainable to UK and some EU candidates.
LSE initially opened its doors in 1895 in three rooms in 9 John Adam Street, near the Strand, London. During its first year 300 students enrolled for its courses including economics, statistics and political science. In 1896 the School moved to larger premises at 10 Adelphi Terrace, overlooking the Thames.
LSE was the idea of Sidney Webb (1859-1947) backed by his wife, the social researcher Beatrice Webb (1858-1943), the writer G Bernard Shaw (1856-1950) and the political scientist Graham Wallas (1858-1932). All four were members of the Fabian Society. An economic historian, William Hewins (1865-1931) was elected the first Director. The first prospectus lists eleven lecturers.
From the start, the School was open to women and men and welcomed students from overseas. The School was devoted to offering its students “scientific training in methods of investigation and research” and means for research, and in 1896 it established the Library, known since 1928 as the British Library of Political and Economic Science.
The first prospectus lists the subjects taught as economics, statistics, commerce, commercial geography, commercial history, commercial and industrial law, currency and banking, taxation and finance, and political science. Classes were held in the morning and evening for working students.
In 1900, the School became a part of the restructured University of London, and was the University’s Faculty of Economics. University of London degrees were first conferred on LSE students in 1902. In 2006 the School obtained the right to confer its own degrees and the first LSE degree was conferred in 2008.
Worth of Undergraduate Support Scheme at LSE
- For 2021, the School has set aside approx £1,000,000 in entrance awards to self-financing students of all nationalities.
- The amount of aid will differ based on individual financial needs but funds are normally between £6,000 and £15,000.
- Awards are renewable for every year of your academic program, based on acceptable academic progress.
Eligibility for Undergraduate Support Scheme at LSE
- The LSE Undergraduate Support Scheme (USS) is structured to assist foreign students who do not possess the necessary funds to finance all their expenses of study.
- Please be aware that the LSE gets far more applications for financial aid than it can afford and regrettably not all applications to the Undergraduate Support Scheme will be approved.
How to Apply for Undergraduate Support Scheme at LSE
- Once you have obtained an offer of admission (conditional or unconditional), you can submit application for this scholarship award. Please complete the undergraduate scholarship application form.
- By filling this form, you will guarantee that you get consideration for this and any other LSE scholarship(s) which you fulfil the eligibility requirements for.
- The application form will be available to download shortly.
- Please send your application form with all supporting credentials comprising an academic reference to the Financial Support Office by post.
- All decisions will be sent by the end of July 2021
Deadline: The deadline for the receipt of applications is April 27, 2021.